Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I heart giant sunflowers

I love sunflowers. I especially love the giant variety because they're so comical and huge. I once saw a house with a sunflower patch in the front yard and the flowers were taller than the house. It was  an amazing sight to see a house dwarfed by  flowers.

Well, mine didn't grow as tall as the house (although that would have been ridiculous, and very cool), they  did get pretty huge. My final measurement was 8'10" and they probably could have reached up  higher had I tied them to some sort of support. Instead the heads have gotten too heavy for their necks and started to droop last weekend.

If these flowers produce any seeds I image they'll fall to the ground and grow into new  flowers next year. At least that's what I'm hoping.

In the mean time I'll enjoy the final blooms and think up something to do with the stems. I recently heard an interesting tip about using them for Halloween and Christmas sculpture decorations. Stay tuned for updates on that project...

2 comments:

  1. Hi! You have a great blog! You like art? Please have a look at my paintings and sketches.
    http://joeparthur.blogspot.com/search/label/art
    I would be pleased if you like to follow my blog.
    :-))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joe!

    I do like art! You've got some excellent drawings and photography on your blog. I will log on often to see more.

    ReplyDelete