Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2012

Keener mom

I have become a keener mom.

In addition to being a member of the daycare board of directors (going on 1 year now), I volunteered to be a Parent Link representative for Lauren's class, and volunteered to help the teacher in the JK class itself.

Parent Link involves being a liason to pass along information from the school to the parents. I'll also have to attend school council meetings every other month. I don't anticipate this taking too much time over the course of a school year and I like the idea of being in the loop with school stuff.

Claire and I start in the classroom next Wednesday during the last half hour of class. I'll help the teacher check backpacks and fill them with whatever notes need to go home to parents while Claire charms the kids with her cute babyness.

I figure that I'm home anyways so why not take advantage of the time to help out. I'll be picking Lauren up on Wednesdays for her dance class for the next two months rather than her going back to daycare for the remainder of the afternoon, so coming in a bit earlier to check school bags is no big deal. Once I'm working out of the house again there will be less opportunity to be so involved, and even less opportunity for  Claire to tag along too. Claire has already been attending daycare board meetings for a while now, but being in the class with her big sister is a unique opportunity. I know Claire won't remember it, but Lauren might and hopefully the memory will be a good one for her.

I remember when my mom used to help out at the school library when I was in grade 1. Or was it grade 2? Ok, I can't remember what grade I was in, but I remember she was there, and I thought it was pretty cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment