Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013

Oh Christmas tree

Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree, your branches green delight us.  

But I'm sure you're glad that we finally packed it in on Friday and called it a season. Time to make your way over to your next duty as compost and mulch.

I was feeling all jolly jolly at the beginning of December and put the tree up a week earlier than  usual - that being two weeks before Christmas. We always get a real tree so the tradition has been to wait until just a week before so it doesn't get so dried out and droopy by the time New Year rolls around. Anyway, the holiday spirit hit me hard this year so up it went. 

It crossed my mind only briefly that Claire would be all over it, but then pushed the thought aside because I remembered that Lauren really didn't bother with the tree much when she was 10 months. Turns out I made a bad assumption. For a full three weeks I was pulling Claire away from the tree non stop and hanging the ornaments higher and higher out of reach. One day Claire managed to get a good grip on a branch and just about tipped the tree over until I caught it mid fall. Yikes!

The city tree pick-up was Saturday so I was all too ready to get it outside by the curb. On the up side, it's kind of nice and refreshing to feel like you're done with the holidays and ready to move on with the new year. Not having to sweep up pine needles every hour is nice too!

2 comments:

  1. Strange that the city would have the tree pick up before the epiphany weekend which was this weekend. I will be honest that this is the first time in YEARS that I ket my tree up past December 28/29. Normally I am desperate to take it down before New Year's because I want to relax and not worry about the work it makes taking everything down. This year I lasted until Saturday. I had plans to do it Sunday, but then the mood struck me, and 45 minutes later our house was Christmas-free. Our pick up is Tuesday.

    I don't know why I am writing all of this. I guess I just felt like I needed to tell someone that I lasted longer this year than in the past. ha! Last year everything came down Dec 26!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year!

    Interesting how every family does it differently. When I was little my mom always waited until a week past New Year. I would come home from school and all evidence of Christmas would be gone. It was always a shocker, but you have to move on eventually. The trees were real then too, so they were never up for weeks on end anyway.

    Usual garbage pick-up around here is on Fridays but was pushed back a day to accommodate the holiday. It was early too because by the time we looked outside at 10am-ish the tree was gone. The garbage was still there though so they must have gathered the tress first.

    ReplyDelete