Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Babe magnet

Babies are magnets for attention.

I learned this very quickly when Lauren was an infant and I would take her out and about. It was hard to go a block without someone (strangers!) wanting to take a peek at the baby. I thought the attention would ease off as she got older, which it has somewhat, but I still notice that she gets lots of smiles when we walk down the street. She is cute if I do say so, especially when she's skipping along and singing as she often does, wearing her cute dresses that she loves, with her pom pom hair bobbing up and down.

Claire is getting her share of attention now too. This time around I'm much more used to the advances by strangers and am always ready with the same answers to the same questions:

She's a girl. She's (insert number) months old. Yes, she's big for her age. Yes, she's very smiley.

A few days ago a curious mum sitting with her baby on the streetcar asked about Claire. Turns out her baby was born on the same day! Too funny. Maybe the kids will go to school together if they live in the neighbourhood.

Just a few moments ago on our return home from dropping Lauren at daycare, Claire and I were approaching two men who were carrying planks of wood into someone's house.  I was observing the wood and could see that they were the tall baseboards which are common in older homes. We had the same kind  installed in the living and dining rooms last year.  As I was babbling to myself in my head impressed that I properly identified construction material,  I noticed one of the guys smiling at us. I thought he was going to tell me to watch that I don't get my head smacked on the wood, but instead he said "how old?"

Pardon? was my response, because I wasn't expecting that question.

How old?  he said again.

Oh, five and a half months. 

Congratulations! Mine just turned one. It's awesome!

Well, congratulations to you! I said, and walked on by with a grin on may face. I couldn't help but smile.

It's sweet when people notice babies but the attention typically comes from women and even more so from the older grandmas. The handful of guys who have said hello always mention their own new babies or nieces and nephews with pride, which I find especially sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment