Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Time to mist the mushrooms

I'm feeling a bit like the Dunkin Donuts guy these days. Every morning at the crack of dawn I'm up - not to bake, but to mist the mushrooms.

I received a mushroom making kit from my Secret Santa last Christmas and finally got into it recently. I was really excited because I've never tried to grow mushrooms before, and this kit promised a no muss no fuss project that would produce results, "In as little as 10 days!" Well, it has been 18 days so far, and so far no mushrooms.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but my suspicion is that I kept the kit in the dark for too long. The instructions indicated to keep it out of direct sunlight during the initial 12 hour soaking period, so I put it in the basement bathroom and left it there. There is a window in the bathroom but the light really is minimal. Maybe the mushroom fungus fell asleep? Or maybe it got too hot? The bathroom is right next to the furnace and it can get pretty cozy down there.

I moved the kit to the kitchen windowsill the other day so we'll see if that makes a difference. I'll give it another two weeks to see if anything happens before considering this project a fail.