Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Let the rivalry begin

I knew Lauren would have feelings of jealousy with a new sibling around, but it never occurred to me that Claire would feel jealous too, at least not for a few more years that is.

I noticed it first last weekend when I was playing with the girls in their bedroom. I was bouncing Lauren on my legs when Claire noticed and stopped what she was doing. She came to me and swung her leg around my waist and over Lauren's head, then wiggled her way between us and wrapped her arms around my neck.

Today while Claire was in her high chair eating dinner, Lauren came to me for hugs which prompted Claire to screamed in anger. Lauren walked away for a minute or so, came back for another hug and Claire screamed again.

Again after dinner Lauren got up on my lap while I was holding Claire. More screaming from Claire.

With development comes awareness, and Claire is becoming very aware that her Mummy has the nerve to spend precious time with the other kid in the house.

I'm not sure what to do about this except to let this phase run it's course. My dread, however, is that this phase will last for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment