Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Blue lipped mischief maker

I am constantly amazed at the amount of mischief a little kid can get into even when they're at arms length away.

The other day I was washing some dishes at the sink and had the dishwasher running while Lauren was buzzing around my feet. The dishwasher, by the way, is literally a foot away from the sink. After warning her not to touch the dishwasher buttons and swatting her away a few times so I wouldn't step on her, she suddenly burst out saying "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" I looked down and noticed that the dishwasher "Start" button was blinking.

Of course I start my own outburst saying, "Oh no Lauren! What happened? What did you press?! What button did you press?!" which prompted more "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry", and then tears. I quickly realized that she managed to open the dishwasher door, so I closed it back into place and checked the floor for puddles. Thankfully no water got out and the washer continued its cycle as normal. I suppose Whirlpool had meddling toddlers in mind when they made this model.
 
Later that afternoon I was in the office with Lauren typing at the computer while she was playing with crayons and paper. Again, no more than a foot away from where I was sitting. I glanced over and saw that she had glue ink smeared all over her lips and fingers. And not just any ink. Lauren had gotten hold of the cue tips that I was using earlier to mop up ink that had spilled from a cartridge in my printer. The stuff stains badly (I myself  already had blue stained hands) so of course I burst out saying "Oh no Lauren!" while she started up with "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" as I whisked her into the bathroom and proceeded to scrub her face and fingers. I noticed then that she had put the cue tips in her ears too.

The stuff finally came off after several minutes of vigorous scrubbing with lots of soap. Thank goodness I caught her in the act and the ink was still wet. Any longer and she would have had blue lips, fingers and ears for days.

Some parents say that they have eyes in the back of their head and can see everything. I'm still waiting for my extra eyes to sprout.

No comments:

Post a Comment