Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Remembering Grandpa

Lauren never got to meet my dad. Unfortunately he passed away on this day in 2007, just a few months before she was born. Considering the nature of his illness, I can't be sure that he knew she was on her way. But somehow I think deep down he did.

I’m fortunate though, to be left with so many great memories of him to pass along. He was a kind, patient and hands-on kind of parent. He never passed up a request to go for a bike ride or play a board game, or help with my homework, and he always made an effort to listen to what I had to say despite the bustle of a busy dinner table. He loved good conversation and I have no doubt that he and Lauren would have gotten along famously.

When my sisters and I were little, he would take us for walks through the wooded trails of the provincial park that was close to our home. We enjoyed the activity, but it wouldn’t take long for tiredness to set in. At least for me and my little legs. Just at the point when I felt I couldn’t go on, we’d take a break and he’d reach into his coat pocket and pull out a chocolate bar for us to share. It was like magic.

I hope to be as good a parent to my daughter as he and my mom were to me. I’ll do my very best to teach her to enjoy life and to be true to herself and caring towards others.

This evening I’ll pull a chocolate bar out of my pocket for us to share as we walk together and remember Grandpa.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me tear up. I think you are and always will be a wonderful parent, knowing you for as long as I have.

    Your father was one of my most favourite people in the world and I still talk about him to people I know today.

    ReplyDelete