Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2012

Bat girl

Lauren is going to be a black bat for halloween.

I'm surprised and delighted by this choice. Surprised because everyday is about frills and dresses and pink and sparkly things. Delighted because she decided on a bat three weeks ago and has stuck to it without once changing her mind. Once I realized that she was serious, I started gathering stuff to make the costume.

I started with a black reaper tunic from the dollar store. For $1.50 it was the right  price and enough material to use to cut wings out of. At another dollar store I found a headband with little red devil horns that I covered with the same black material to make bat ears.

For the body part of the costume I found a black shirt for $4.99 at a clothing discount store. It's girl size, but on Lauren it goes  down to her feet, which is perfect. She has a pair of black track pants she can wear underneath, but the full length shirt gives a nice seamless look. It's also stretchy enough that she can wear a coat underneath to keep her warm.

With the wings I sewed them onto the underarms and side of the shirt, added some strips of black tape to give the illusion of bones and to give the wings a bit of definition, and voila, a bat! 

So now the costume is done and I'm impressed by my own handiness. Lauren tried it on the other day and gave me a hug so I know she's pleased with it too. Yay!

Happy Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment