Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Wonder woman

Sometimes I astound myself.

On Friday I moved the sofa bed from our home office on the second floor of our house all the way to the basement. All by my freaking self! Mind over matter. And I did it without straining a muscle or scratching a wall.

Moving the sofa to the basement is one of the last pieces of my master plan to turn the basement into a comfortable and functional play area and guest room. This project has been on my to-do list for 3 years, and for the last several months I've been getting it done slowly and surely.

I figured that we bought a whole house, so what a waste to use two thirds of it while the basement is left forgotten except for storing junk that we never use.  So item by item, I've been getting rid of stuff we don't need. The old VCR and DVD players and miscellaneous electronics were sent to recycling heaven, the giant cathode ray tube TV was put out in the front yard and taken away by who knows who, and the ancient gas stove was picked up by two guys who answered an ad on kijiji. "FREE! If you can get it out of our basement, it's yours."

And after vacuuming the spider webs and adding art to the walls, it's finally looking like a nice place to play and rest.

The final step will be to replace the old vinyl floor with new, but that project can wait. For right now the basement is finally open for action.

No comments:

Post a Comment