Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

To be a he or a she, that is the question

"Do you know if it's a boy or girl?" By far the most asked question this time around.

Of course my answer every time is, "No, it's a surprise!" which almost always gets a surprise reaction. Obviously we're a family in the minority for not knowing or wanting to know, but I am 100% satisfied with the decision.

When we were expecting Lauren, I didn't want to know the gender but C did. When I mentioned this to the technician performing the ultrasound she didn't put any gender on the report so no one knew what was coming, not even Dr. B. After several people had guessed boy leading up to Lauren's birth we too were convinced - so much so that C was momentarily confused when she turned out not to be. When Dr. B announced "girl" I was thoroughly delighted. Not that I wanted one over the other, but that it was a true surprise. So rare in this day and age.

Ultimately a boy or girl  doesn't really matter. All I really want to know is that my baby is healthy, so I'll accept the 9 months of check-ups and exams and ultrasounds and tests and poking and prodding and will save one grand surprise for myself.

Hearing people's guesses and theories is part of the fun as well. One person mentioned that if you see legs crossed in an  ultrasound it's likely a girl because boys don't usually cross their legs. Another said that it's a boy if your belly button pokes out, although a friend of mind who had a boy doesn't remember her own belly button poking out. Several people have suggested that carrying low and outward it a sign of a boy and carrying around is a girl, but I'm pointing out, just as I did with Lauren. And the last boy theory I heard is that if you crave foods you can't have (like my craving for wine and sushi), it's a boy. Something to do with conflicting hormones, I think.

Despite all the theories, there have been far more boy guesses than girl, and they've all been very definite.

As for my own guess, I didn't really have one until recently. I'm carrying the same as with Lauren - basketball shaped and way out front, only bigger.  I'm definitely eating more and have put on more weight. Nausea was milder but more drawn out into month 5 and 6 and I even now feel a little ill if I don't eat breakfast soon after waking up. I still get a weird aftertaste after eating some foods. With Lauren I was felt quite ill for the first 3 months, but don't remember it lasting much after that.

First time around I used to have visions of walking hand in hand with a  little girl in pony tails. This time around I had a dream that I was holding a baby that looked like Lauren from the face, but it really could have been a boy or girl. Just the other night I had a dream that I was holding a baby boy.  

As for the balance of the sexes of the 3rd generation in the families, we're at 3 boys and 2 girls for my side, so a girl would even the score. For C, there are 3 girls and 3 boys so it could really go either way.

Just a few more days (or hours??) and we'll know.

No comments:

Post a Comment